Now that we are approaching the dog days of summer, the following 5 tips can heat up sales and prevent the ‘summer slowdown’ that many businesses experience at this time of the year.
1 – Spruce up your curb appeal
- Include greenery and flowers inside and outside your business.
- Ensure the outside of your business is appealing and is weed free, swept, and clean.
- Offer a bike rack to attract cyclists who will be out in the warmer weather.
- Offer water bowls for dogs to encourage pet owners to stop and visit.
- Clean your windows and make sure they are sparkling. Create a summer theme in your window display. Get creative!
- Place products or signs outside the store to attract customers that are out-and-about in the summer weather.
2 – Warm up your social media pages
- Include summer images on your social media pages, website, and landing pages.
- Include video with a summer theme.
- Promote your brand and ask your customers to post a summer themed photo with your products or brand swag. Offer prizes for the most creative posts.
- Run an Instagram contest comparing two of your popular products or services – and offer a limited time discount coupon for the winner.
3 – Heat up your direct mail
- Use summer images and themes in your cards and mailings.
- Target movers – did you know that the average business needs to replace about 20% of its customer base that moves away in any given year? – (WelcomeWagon)
- 85% of new movers use the first business that contacts them – so make sure you reach them first!
- Send direct mail to pre-movers and new movers to target these new community members.
4 – Partner with the community
- Local non-profits have a particular need for help since many donors and volunteers are not as active during the summer months. You can do good and drive business by serving as a collection site for your community food pantry or pet shelter. A win-win for both you and your local charity.
- Sponsor a sports summer league or community 5K.
- Participate in community wide events like sidewalk sales, art/craft fairs, or host a summer kick-off cocktail/mocktail party at your place of business.
- Partner with the arts! Offer your business as a site to purchase tickets for your local community theater’s summer productions.
5 – Make your own fireworks
- Create some sparks! Run special promotions during summer holidays such as Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day. Start promoting a few weeks early…and include a start and end date to create a sense of urgency.
- Use summer inspired emojis in email messaging. 💥 🧨 😎 🏖️ 🍉 🍦 ⛱️ ☀️
- Post pictures on your social media pages of your employees and customers’ pets decked out for July 4
- Extend business hours one day a week during the summer to take advantage of the brighter days.
- Host limited time flash sales. Promote a substantial discount or BOGO on one product. Post on Instagram and Facebook to spread the work quickly.
For more information on how to heat up your summer sales – contact Welcome Wagon!